Madhukar Planet: my opinion on the butterfly keyboard! -By Neha

Saturday, June 26, 2021

my opinion on the butterfly keyboard! -By Neha

 so, the new m1 MacBook has a scissor-switch keyboard, the 2015 MacBook was the first mac where the butterfly keyboard was introduced. the last mac with a butterfly keyboard was released in 2019 




here's a side-by-side comparison of the m1 and the 2018 edition. as you can see the 2018 edition is bigger 


I have the 2018 edition mac and it's actually .3 inches bigger than the M1, it's a small difference but it does look smaller compared to the 2018 edition.

the 2018 edition mac has the butterfly keyboard which I love and my dad prefers it too. but some people seem to dislike it, which I don't see why. but it all comes to personal preference. each of them has its pros and cons, but in my opinion, I like the butterfly keyboard better. not that I don't like the scissor-switch keyboard at all. it's just a little hard to type and it's too "squishy" if you know what I mean ( if you don't, don't worry, I have no idea how to say it either)  



the butterfly keyboard feels better. the reason why the butterfly is called so is because it basically looks like this...... a butterfly's wings. while the scissor-switch has two crossing supports. the butterfly key has a hinge in the middle. another way of putting it, the scissor-switch has an 'X' shape, while the butterfly key is closer to a wide 'V' 


in some ways, the butterfly keyboard is a better mechanism, thinner, and honestly typing on that one is better. and the scissor-switch sounds better, but the butterfly keyboard feels AND sounds better. 

The problem is the stupid real world. Because of the butterfly key’s ‘V’ shape, it’s easier for food, debris, and general dirt to get underneath the mechanism — something that’s prevented (a bit more at least) from happening with an ‘X’ shape. 


I'm gonna be posting a new video with the differences between the m1 and the 2018 MacBook pro and my opinion on it! so stay tuned! and subscribe to my youtube channel @NehaMadhuakar, and I'll see you guys in the next one, ciao! 





No comments: